Gmail is an email service provider owned by Google, which was founded and published in April 2004. Gmail is the primary email service for Android users; when you just buy a new Android device, signing in or creating a Google account plays a crucial role in setting up your phone for use. Getting a Gmail account is a simple task, you start by having a Google account. A Google account not only provides you with a Gmail account. You also get automatically signed up to all other Google free services.
Which include Drive, YouTube, Maps, Play Music and so on. We shall be limiting our focus to Gmail only as we shall be learning how to get our Gmail account up and running from setting up a Google account.
How Do I Setup or Create Gmail Account
You have two choices; either through the Gmail app or directly from Gmail’s official website on your desktop device. Let’s start with the Gmail app.
On Mobile Device Using the Gmail App
- When you tap on the Gmail icon, the app launches, the homepage shows you a layout of your inbox.
- At the top left corner you should see the Gmail menu; there horizontal lines.
- Tap on the lines to show you a side menu.
- Tap on your Gmail address, you should see a down menu with two options.
- Then add an account or manage an account, tap “add account” and then tap Google.
- Gmail now redirects to a page where you can begin with the account setup.
But before the page loads completely, you will need to enter your device password or pin. Depending on the kind of security you use for your device in order to make sure you are the owner of the device.
Gmail Security Verification
After verifying your security, the sign-in page loads and you will be prompted to enter your email address.
- Just at the bottom left corner, you should see “create account”, tap on it.
- You’ll now have to provide your basic information which includes your name, age, and gender. You’ll also choose your preferred username for your Gmail address.
- If the username you entered has already been used by another account, Google will give you a list of possible suggestions for you.
- Or you may try entering another address that has not been used before.
- Now, enter a strong password that you will be able to remember in the spaces provided and on to the next step.
- Your phone number is also very important. You need to include your phone number to serve as a means to complete your 2-step verification.
- In order to ensure your account’s security. Enter the verification code sent to your phone number either through SMS or voice call.
You will now be redirected again to the Gmail app. Where you can set up your emails, inbox, calendar, and other Gmail services.
Gmail Account Using a Desktop Web Browser
- Go to www.gmail.com, now click on “create account”, a sign up form loads, you are to fill in the required information in the spaces provided and then click on “next”.
- You will need to enter your phone number for 2-step verification.
- And enter the code that was sent to your phone number in the space provided that starts with a G – (——-) and then, “next”.
- Now, on this page, enter your personal information like your age, gender and then “next”.
And there you are, Your Gmail account has been created. And in a few seconds, your account should be up and running with all your emails contacts and every other thing in place.